Founder. Insurance Advisor. Nelson Insurance Services Corp.
MBA (Western Ontario).
Financial Planning Credentials: Chartered Financial Consultant (CH.F.C.), Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU).
Vernon Nelson began his career in the financial services business in September 1966. From the very beginning, Vern built his career on three specific ideals: i) always be 100% committed and focused on the needs of the client, ii) be a good listener and iii) keep things simple. In other words, treat our clients in the same way in which we would like to be treated, each and every day. Since the early years our purpose has been clear: To help our clients gain “maximum mileage” from their financial resources.
With this focus, Vern has achieved several important industry milestones: i) Vern is a lifetime member of the Million Dollar Round Table (MDRT) and ii) has qualified every year eligible for the National Quality Award. These two accomplishments illustrate the high quality of work achieved by Vern and his team throughout his career.
Vern has also been recognized as an industry leader and innovator. At times when the industry focus was on selling products, Vern and his team were focused on providing financial solutions. This is best recognized as Vern’s development of the “Nelson Financial Binder” program. With untold numbers of “Brown and Green Binders” put in place over the years, clients of Nelson Financial experienced what is now commonly recognized as an integrated financial plan. In many cases, the binder approach was 10+ years ahead of its time. At times when most advisors worked for larger companies and thus represented only one line of products, Vern incorporated (in 1980) as an independent financial planning firm, representing the products and services from multiple firms. And at a time when only a few advisors talked about buy-sell agreements and business succession planning with their clients, Vern was walking the walk by creating his own succession plans for his business, dating as far back as the early 1980’s.
Today, and after almost 50 years in the financial services business, Vern continues to live his passion in serving others. He continues to be involved with professionals and business owners, primarily in estate planning, assisting in business buy-sell agreements, will planning and helping others fullfill their own legacies. The clients of Nelson Financial continue to benefit from Vern’s lifetime of passion, interest and committment to helping people gain “maximum mileage” from their financial resources.
- Masters in Business Administration (MBA) – The University of Western Ontario.
- Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU).
- Chartered Financial Consultant (CHFC).
Community & Industry Involvement:
- A Past President of the Estate Planning Council of Winnipeg
- A Past President of the Cancer Society, Manitoba Division and past member of the National Executive of the Cancer Society of Canada
- A Past President and current member of over 25 years of the Rotary Club of Winnipeg
- A past member of the Board of CAFE Manitoba – the Canadian Association of Family Enterprise
- Past member of the Board of the Manitoba Crop Insurance Corporation
- Past Chairman of the Board of the former St Vital United Church
- Also involved as a Scout counselor, baseball and hockey coach for many years