President. Insurance Advisor. Nelson Insurance Services Corp.
B.Comm.(hons.) – I.H. Asper School of Business, University of Manitoba.
Insurance Planning Credentials: Certified Financial Planner (CFP®), Master Financial Advisor (MFA), Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU).
Douglas Nelson is a seasoned financial advisor based in Winnipeg, Canada. He is the President and Insurance Advisor of Nelson Insurance Services Corp. Nelson Insurance Services Corp. is a member of the Nelson group of companies, otherwise known as Nelson Financial Consultants. The origins of the Nelson group date back to 1966 when Vernon, Doug’s father, began his career in the financial services industry. Doug joined the firm in 1992. Nelson Financial Consultants is a financial services boutique providing a greater depth of services for a smaller group of clients. Our typical clients include entrepreneurs, family businesses, executives, professionals and their family. In Doug’s role as Insurance Advisor, Doug is licensed to discuss with clients different insurance solutions and product considerations.
- Bachelor of Commerce (honors.), University of Manitoba I.H. Asper School of Business (1990)
- Certified Financial Planner (CFP®) (1998)
- Chartered Life Underwriter (CLU) (1999)
- Master Financial Advisor (MFA) (2007)
- Canadian Investment Manager (CIM) (2008)
Licenses, Membership and Registrations:
- Life Insurance, Disability and Health Insurance License (Manitoba, Alberta, BC).
- Member: Financial Planning Standards Council. Certified Financial Planner (CFP®).
- Portfolio Manager. Nelson Portfolio Management Corp.
- Master Your Retirement: How to fulfill your dreams with peace of mind. First Edition: 2009. Second Edition: 2012. Third Edition: 2014. Fourth Edition: 2016.
- Advanced Financial Planning Courses, published by The Knowledge Bureau.
- Author: Advising Family Businesses.
- Author: The Portfolio Risk Manager.
- Co-Author: The Elements of Real Wealth Management.
- Co-Author: Portfolio Construction for Real Wealth Management.
- Co-Author: Financial Literacy: The Relationship Between Risk & Return.
- Co-Author: Tax-Efficient Retirement Income Planning.
- Business News Network (BNN): Money Talk Interview, July 20, 2009.
- Publications: Doug has been quoted numerous times and has had articles published in the following publications: The Winnipeg Free Press. Advisors Edge Magazine. The Insurance Journal. The Cottager Magazine. The Knowledge Bureau Report.
- The FundLibrary.
- The Financial Post.
- Master Your Retirement Radio Interview, March 9th, 2014 at 9 pm. Interviewed by Geoff Courier at CJOB Winnipeg. http://www.cjob.com/audio-on-demand/
- Recipient, 2017 Distinguished Advisor Conference Client Innovation Scholarship Award. This award recognizes industry advisors who are excelling at client engagement and innovation. View the full press release here.